Sometimes individually, sometimes in groups, USC undergraduates conduct research with guidance from distinguished faculty leaders. Imagine presenting your findings at a conference or publishing your research. With so many opportunities and funding sources, you can do it here.
Our signature program that honors students who engage in undergraduate research or artistic endeavor with faculty guidance. Be recognized for making a contribution to your field of study as an undergraduate.
The Undergraduate Symposium provides students with the unique opportunity to exhibit and share examples of their significant research and creativity with the university community.
Fellowships and Funding
Several fellowships opportunities provide financial support for students interested in conducting and presenting research as undergraduates. Check out these possibilities:
- USC Provost’s Undergraduate Research Fellowships
- Bridge Institute Undergrad Science (BUGS) Intensive Summer Research Program
- Center for Undergraduate Research in Viterbi Engineering (CURVE) Fellowship – Viterbi School of Engineering
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowships
- Student Opportunities for Academic Research (SOAR) – Dornsife College
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fund (SURF) – Dornsife College
- USC Global Health Fellowships
- USG Academic Research Fund
- Undergraduate Education Conference Travel Grants
- Work study: Federal work-study awards are eligible to be used for undergraduate research positions
*Additional resources for undergraduate researchers are available here.
Medical Preceptorship Program
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Preceptorship Program: For pre-medical students interested in learning more about the field of General Medicine. Students will shadow physicians in five different Kaiser Permanente departments during spring break 2020. Cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Medical Preceptorship Program: For pre-medical students interested in learning more about the field of Pediatric Medicine. Students will shadow physicians at CHLA after commencement. Cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic.
A program that encourages low-income and first-generation college students as well as students from historically underrepresented ethnic groups to pursue graduate studies and consider an academic career. Check them out!
Our groundbreaking effort to increase the representation and success of women in the sciences and engineering at USC through research grants, events, lecture series, and outreach.
Research Programs – by school
USC schools encourage the Discovery Scholar ideal of undergraduate research with programs of their own. See what’s available in your area of study.
Check out USC’s many research centers and institutes from the arts and humanities, the social and natural sciences, to engineering and technology. We even have an Institute for Innovation!
With 23 libraries and information centers plus the USC Digital Library and countless ejournals, the USC Libraries actively support and encourage the academic endeavors of faculty, students, and staff. Searching for understanding? Start here.
To participate in research, students must connect with current experts in the field of study – members of the USC faculty. Browse through these faculty directories and profiles to learn more about the research activities of faculty across campus.