Home » Academic Programs of Study » Progressive Degree Program » Eligibility & Application

Eligibility & Application

Progressive DegreeThe Progressive Degree program enables superior USC undergraduates to begin work on a master’s degree while completing requirements for the bachelor’s degree. You should begin investigating potential progressive degrees at the start of your junior year by consulting with graduate departments which offer master’s programs associated with your undergraduate major. Once you have found a complementary master’s program to pursue, you can begin to make your progressive degree plan with your undergraduate and graduate academic advisors. You will need to meet the following requirements to earn both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees:

  • Minimum 3.0 GPA at time of application
  • Submit application once you have completed at least 64 total units of undergraduate course work, excluding AP, IB, or transfer units earned prior to graduation from high school. You may apply in your junior (recommended) or senior year but no later than the semester prior to beginning graduate course work.
  • Complete and submit Application for Admission to a Progressive Master’s Program, including:
    • Application form
    • STARS report
    • Progressive Degree Proposed Course Plan – the course plan must include all remaining undergraduate course requirements and at least two-thirds of the graduate program requirements
    • You are not required to submit GRE or GMAT scores
  • Obtain approval signatures for the application and proposed course plan from:
    • Undergraduate program department chair
    • Undergraduate program dean
    • Master’s program department chair
    • Master’s program dean
  • Complete all degree requirements for both the bachelor’s degree and the master’s degree with a minimum two-thirds of the units required for the master’s degree at or above the 500 level
  • Complete both degree programs within 12 semesters (6 years)

The approved application and course plan will be submitted to Degree Progress by the master’s program department and added to your academic records. Once admitted to the master’s program, all you need to do is follow your approved course plan.

Progressive DegreePlease note that financial aid eligibility differs for students in Progressive Degree programs.  Please visit Financial Aid Enrollment in a Progressive Degree Program for more details.

The bachelor’s degree may be awarded separately, but the master’s degree will not be awarded before the undergraduate degree.

Please visit Progressive Degree Frequently Asked Questions for additional information about applying,

Ready to apply? Download the application and proposed course plan forms.