Overview of the Program
The preceptorship program is designed for pre-medical students with at least junior standing and an interest in learning more about the field of Pediatric Medicine. Each student will be paired with a faculty mentor at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA). Students will shadow physicians in five different CHLA departments usually after Commencement.
The program is co-sponsored by the USC Office of Undergraduate Programs and Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. The program’s goal is to increase students’ understanding and appreciation of the art of pediatric medicine and to help them gain familiarity with the health issues facing underserved communities. Some of the CHLA departments included in the program are General Pediatrics, the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, the Pediatric Emergency Department, the Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit, and the Cardiothoracic Operating Room. Students will also have an opportunity to attend Resident Noon Conference each day of the program. A more specific list of topics will be announced at a later date.
- Enrollment at USC in a pre-medical undergraduate curriculum during Fall 2022 as a full-time student with junior or senior standing (64 or more total units completed)
- Emotional maturity to participate in the program and agreement to abide by institutional rules
- Commitment to spend the required time each day to shadow physicians week after Commencement
- Access to transportation between USC and CHLA
Selected candidates must make an appointment to meet with a CHLA representative several weeks prior to attending the program to complete required forms and to be issued ID badges. In addition, all students must show documentation to CHLA of having received their immunization shots to include TB, MMR and H1N1 before participating in the program. In addition, CHLA will need proof of COVID/Booster shots (no exceptions) for students selected to participate in the program.
- Completion of the Medical Preceptorship Application
- Submission form includes a one-page résumé and a short personal statement (1200 words or less) describing motivation for participating in the program
- Completed applications should be submitted online by February 18.
- Decisions will be announced around the last week of February.
- A more detailed list of topics will be announced for participants during the beginning of April.
- Participants will shadow physicians in various rotations during May 16-20, 2022.
If you have any questions about the USC-CHLA Medical Preceptorship Program, please feel free to contact Dr. David Glasgow at (213)740-1741 (firstname.lastname@example.org).